Cannabidiol (CBD) appears as a powerful natural remedy with anti-inflammatory properties and capable of helping or relieving several diseases. It can help fight cancer, irritable bowel, epilepsy, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease, depression, etc.
It's amazing how much a plant extract has the potential to do so many things. The benefits of CBD far outweigh its side effects. But, before we get into the possible effects of CBD, let's remember what it is and where it comes from.
What is CBD?
CBD or cannabidiol is a component derived from cannabis. It is one of the 100 components of this plant. CBD is part of the cannabinoid family, like THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). CBD, unlike THC, does not produce psychoactive effects. Do not hesitate to consult our article to have more to have on CBD.
CBD is very much in vogue right now, as it is very useful for treating a wide range of diseases. CBD is the subject of much scientific research, and the list continues to grow.
How does CBD interact with our bodies?
Our brain has an endocannabinoid system (ECS). The endocannabinoid system is a complex network of special receptors and chemicals. We are talking about endocannabinoid substances. These are substances produced by our body that are similar to the cannabinoids found in cannabis. The endocannabinoid system plays an essential role in balancing our body and mind.
CBD acts directly on the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Indeed, cannabidiol helps stimulate the endocannabinoid system if it is exhausted, or if your body is generally unbalanced.
How much time is left in our system?
CBD stays in the system for about two to five days. This duration varies depending on the individual as well as the amount of CBD ingested. This is the average time it takes for the molecule to leave the body.
You can find more information about the shelf life of CBD in our bodies and how long CBD remains detectable on the screening test.
How does CBD make you feel?
Acting with our endocannabinoid system, especially responsible for pleasure, it makes sense to wonder how CBD will make you feel.
First of all and surely the most important point, CBD is not going to get you high. No feeling of high or hight. Indeed, CBD is completely non-psychoactive. Products sold in France contain less than 0.2% THC, the maximum limit allowed in France.
On the other hand, the use of CBD allows you to be calmer and more relaxed. Cannabidiol is completely safe and non-toxic. In addition, CBD has minimal side effects. They also argued that it does not affect physiological parameters such as a person's heart rate and body temperature. The World Health Organization has also recognized that CBD is a safe and non-toxic product.
What are the benefits of CBD?
The benefits of CBD are numerous, there are no less than 24, here is an overview of the effects of CBD:
- Neuroinflammation treatment
- Treatment of epilepsy
- Treatment of oxidative lesions
- Treatment of vomiting and nausea
- Treatment of anxiety
- Treatment of schizophrenia
Let's detail a little about the fields of application of cannabidiol:
- Cancer: Several scientific reports show that among the benefits of cannabidiol, it has effects that inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells. This is particularly the case for breast cancer. In addition, research has shown that CBD is able to inhibit the expansion of lung and colon cancer. CBD has antitumor effects. It would show promise for stopping cancer cells from cervical cancer, which is the second most common type of cancer in women, after breast cancer.
- Relieves pain: Among the benefits of CBD, its natural painkiller property is certainly at the top of the list. Cannabinoids, including cannabidiol, prove useful in the treatment of pain by inhibiting neuronal transmission in pain pathways. CBD is a great help against back pain.
- Reduces inflammation and autoimmunity: Due to its anti-inflammatory role, CBD is a very promising therapeutic agent for a variety of inflammatory disorders and therefore for all autoimmune diseases. By working with our endocannabinoid system, CBD helps trigger anti-inflammatory reactions. This is extremely when our body is out of balance with autoimmune diseases.
- Significantly improves the symptoms of schizophrenia: Research shows that the benefits of CBD include antipsychotic effects. CBD is a solution to relieve the symptoms of schizophrenia thanks to its properties.
- Reduces anxiety: Cannabidiol has been shown to reduce anxiety in patients with social anxiety disorders, and researchers suggest that it may also be effective for panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Treatment for epilepsy: CBD may be a promising therapy for drug-resistant epilepsy, as several studies have shown. In a survey report study that included parents of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy, 84% of parents reported a reduction in the frequency of their child's seizures following taking CBD. A CBD drug has been authorized in the United States. Learn more about CBD and epilepsy.
- Protects against neurodegenerative diseases: Indeed, CBD prevents toxic effects in the brain, in particular by preventing the death of brain cells. In addition, thanks to CBD, it has very important antioxidant characteristics. It is an effective barrier against toxic substances in brain cells.
Cannabidiol is also a powerful ally to recover from brain damage such as stroke.
- Relieves nausea: Cannabis has been used for centuries as an anti-nausea and anti-vomiting agent. This is because THC and CBD help fight nausea and vomiting.
- Reduces the incidence of diabetes: One study found that CBD treatment significantly reduced the incidence of diabetes. The benefits of CBD have also shown a significant reduction in plasma levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines. This results in a significant decrease in insulin. It is also a great ally for weight loss.
- Promotes cardiovascular health: Cannabidiol protects against vascular damage caused by hyperglycemia, inflammation or diabetes. In addition, CBD reduces vascular hyperpermeability (which causes intestinal permeability syndrome). CBD works to reduce heart rate and blood pressure.
- Treatment of multiple sclerosis (ALS): CBD, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, shows great promise for treating and prolonging the survival of patients with multiple sclerosis (ALS). It is also a significant accompaniment to relieve muscle contraction or treat pain.
- Relieves osteoarthritis: Thanks to their anti-inflammatory effect, cannabinoids can relieve joint pain and swelling, and reduce joint destruction and disease progression. Check out our article on CBD and osteoarthritis.
- Improves sleep: The use of cannabidiol is of great help in fighting insomnia. Indeed, taking CBD before going to sleep has virtues to improve sleep. Check out our article on sleep and CBD.
- Improves appetite, reduces acne and psoriasis: Several studies show that cannabidiol exerts these beneficial actions.
- Reduces depression: Cannabidiol has a similar effectiveness to antidepressants. CBD has antidepressant effects, similar to medications. This is a viable alternative over time to fight depression.
- Reduces inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The combination of CBD and THC can reduce inflammation and alleviate symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease, such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, and reduced appetite. Thus cannabidiol is a solution to normalize intestinal motility in IBD patients. CBD may reduce the severity of inflammation in the gut by activating the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR-gamma)
Contraindications and side effects of CBD
Even though CBD has been shown to be well tolerated and safe, even at high doses, it is important to be aware of possible side effects. It's also important to remember that CBD can affect each person differently and the effects it can have on a person may not be the same for you. Therefore, don't splurge when you start using CBD. What we recommend is to start with a low dose and gradually increase it. If you notice any side effects, just decrease the dosage again. Check out our article on the necessary CBD dosage .
Here are some of the side effects of CBD:
- Dry mouth: CBD can make you thirstier than normal, causing dry mouth. Dry mouth is a potential side effect of hemp oil.
- Decreased blood pressure: When CBD oil is taken in higher doses, one of its side effects is a slight drop in blood pressure. This usually happens a few minutes after consumption, when CBD enters the system. However, we recommend that you consult your doctor before taking CBD if you are taking blood pressure medication.
- Dizziness: This is usually due to a drop in blood pressure when taking high doses. However, this effect is only temporary and can usually be resolved by drinking coffee or tea.
- Drowsiness: However, at higher doses, CBD can affect people differently and cause drowsiness. If you experience this side effect, do not drive or use heavy machinery, and reduce the dose you take.